The under side of the caddy is covered in
blue paper and is inscribed: "A Relic of York Minster
From the Nettleship 4 Blake St York".
The inscription survives research:-
York Minster was burnt down on 20th May 1840- the date on
the caddy. Mumby Joseph (clerk to the magistrates,) is recorded
at 4 Blake Street as "Fire & Life Offices" "Eagle
In 1877: Joseph Mumby is recorded as contributing
half of £1500 to the church in Osbaldwick about two miles East
of York, where "The pulpit was a piece of ancient oak work,
and was formerly in York Minster."
This caddy may be from the same oak source.